Kanaka Valley Management Plan and Decision Record
What you need to know . . .
Campfires are not allowed
Overnight camping is not allowed
Target shooting, plinking, and similar activities are not allowed
Recreational gold seeking - Hands and Pans only. No mining claims.
Horseback riding, mountain bikes and other non-motorized travel - on designated trails only
Recreationists with dogs should follow the El Dorado County Leash Law
Firewood permits - issued on a case by case basis
Special Recreation Use Permit - issued on a case by case basis
Leave No Trace - Pack it in, Pack it out
Kanaka Valley Public Access Map (Adobe .pdf 1.9 mb)
Hunting is allowed only with the following:
- Bow and arrows
- Smoothbore shotguns
- Muzzle loaders - only after fire season is declared over by BLM
- Air guns of .22 caliber or less
Hunting in general:
- Hunting for bear, squirrels, rabbits, jackrabbits, waterfowl, furbearers, or non-game species is not allowed.
- Hunting is restricted to deer and turkey in the fall season, deer during the summer archery-only season, quail and mourning doves in the fall season, and turkey under a special spring lottery hunt.
- BLM anticipates the first special spring turkey lottery hunt in 2014
Hunting Zone Map (Adobe .pdf 1.8 mb)
No Hunting Zone .kml file (Requires Google Earth)
Kanaka Valley Management Plan
and Decision Record
(Adobe .pdf 2662 kb)
Final Management Actions Table (Adobe .pdf 205 kb)
Other Important Links:
Leave No Trace
Special Recreation Use Permit
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
California Department of Fish and Wildlife - (Fish & Game)