Cosumnes River Preserve Rafting on Merced River South Fork American River Canyon Cronan Ranch Flannel Bush Flower
BLM>California>Mother Lode>Fuelwood Policy
Print Page
Mother Lode Field Office

Mother Lode Fuelwood Program and Policy

A permit is needed for any and all cutting and or removal of vegetative material on Public Lands.  Mining claims are not an exception.  Due to the land pattern of the Mother Lode Field Office administered lands, fuelwood permits are handled on a case by case basis.

Fuelwood permits within Special Areas such as: Areas of Critical Environmental Concern (ACEC), Special Recreation Management Areas (SRMA), Wilderness Study Areas (WSA), Nature Areas and Preserves, require an on-site field consultation. 

Purchasers need to have knowledge of property boundaries and have legal access to the material being sought.  Material must be dead and down.  It is up to potential purchasers to locate suitable dead and down material.  Some circumstances of standing dead trees may be sold if the situation is called for (such as hazard trees).

If the Public lands administered by BLM's Mother Lode Field Office are not known to the potential purchaser, it is suggested that a BLM Surface Management Map be obtained for the area of interest.

Permits can be obtained by calling:

BLM, Mother Lode Field Office at: (916) 941-3101

Or one of the Ranger satellite offices:

BLM, Sonora Ranger Office at:  (209) 532-3671 extension #409

BLM, Nevada City Ranger Office at: (530) 478-1465

Please note: Fuelwood permits within the Butte Fire perimeter (Amador and Calaveras County) are now available.  Contact Monte Kawahara, Field Office Forester at (916) 941-3127

Time of year fuelwood permits are issued:

  • START  -  October 15th 
    (if fire season allows; 1 week delays until moisture level reduces fire danger to acceptable level)

  • END  June 15th 
    (or beginning of fire season if sooner, and conditions warrant)                                                           

Costs for fuelwood - (Personal Use Only):  

  • Dead and Down / Softwoods-Conifers              $ 25.00  / Per Cord

  • Dead and Down / Hardwoods                            $ 30.00 /  Per Cord

Maximum  five (5) cords per residence for personal use only (no commercial cutting).

Permit Duration – Usually 1 – 2 Months.  Maximum of three months.
A one time only extension can be given under justifiable circumstances.

Minimum: No permit can be written for less than $ 25.00 (minimum administrative cost)
Permit specifies “No refunds”  (even if wood is never cut & removed)

Along with the Fuelwood Permit, a page of Noncommercial Special Stipulations, Sections I–V, shall be attached.