Bishop Field Office

Off-Highway and Sport Utility Vehicle Travel

The Bishop Field Office Resource Management Area is public land managed by the Bureau of Land Management and offers a diversity of opportunities for the off-highway vehicle enthusiast. Along with this freedom, also comes the responsibility to know and comply with the California Vehicle Code and Bureau of Land Management (BLM) regulations. Whether you ride a motorcycle or tour with a sport utility vehicle, this information will give you some of the basic regulations you need to know for a trouble free visit to the Public Lands.

Where to Ride or Operate your Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV)

Open Area:
Poleta OHV Area provides a wide variety of riding opportunities for ATV, motorcycles, mini cycles, dune buggies, jeeps, RUVs, and SUVs. There is beginner, intermediate and advanced technical single track trails and 4-wheeled driving routes.  Motorized vehicles may be operated anywhere within the posted boundaries of open area. Please observe and obey signing. Please pack out any garbage.

How to Get to Poleta: GPS Coordinates N 37 21’ 36.4”, W 118 19’ 2.06”.  From U.S. 395 in the City of Bishop go east on Line Street 4.4 miles then left to lower staging area. Upper Staging area can be accessed by continuing on Line Street another 1 mile to Redding Canyon, go left 1.2 miles, go left ½ mile to staging area. Camping limit is 14 days.

Limited Use Areas:

Dispersed OHV Use: Most of the public lands in the Eastern Sierra are managed as Semi-Primitive Motorized Opportunity. These areas have been designated as Limited Use areas. In these areas, motor vehicle use is limited to existing or designated routes of travel only. No cross-county vehicle use is allowed. When staging please help preserve California's fragile deserts, please park your vehicles or set up camp in previously disturbed sites.
Semi-Primitive Motorized (PDF 26kb) areas are managed to provide a predominantly natural or natural-appearing environment. Evidence of human activity, restriction and controls are present but subtle. On-site interpretive facilities, trailheads and signing are minimal.

Sport Utility Vehicle Touring Guides:

From the wide desert valleys to the craggy canyons of High Sierra Streams, these guides are for people that want to see it up close.

Area Maps for purchase:

Rules of the Road:

If you would like to have your ATV or motorcycle tested for sound compliance, Please call the Bishop BLM office at (760) 872-5033 to set up an appointment. (Testing is performed in and around the Bishop, CA area)

Tread Lightly!  Quick Tips


Motorized and Non-Motorized Trails Maps available for no charge at the Public Lands Information Center in Bishop and the Mammoth Welcome Center.

 Image of map cover, Motorized and Non Motorized Trails, So. Mono and Northern Inyo Counties.Image of map cover, Motorized and Non Motorized Trails, Inyo Counties.