U.S. DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIORBUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT
|Alturas Field Office|
Firewood Cutting Stipulations
Failure to abide by the conditions stated in this contract or permit may result in contract or permit cancellation and citation to the U.S. magistrate.
Government is not liable for any accidents incurred during wood cutting or other harvesting activities.
A. This contract or permit authorizes harvesting and removal only from
1. In areas of active logging or other commercial operations.
2. In camp and picnic grounds.
3. On private land. It is the permittees’ responsibility to determine ownership of
4. Within 300 feet of improved road.
B. Fire Danger
1. During periods of high fire danger, chainsaw use may be restricted or
2. Call the 24-hour information number for the current fire danger and road use
3. Firewood may be gathered without the use of chainsaws during periods when
4. To help prevent fires that may result from wood cutting, you are required to equip you
5. An approved fire extinguisher or shovel for fire fighting purposes is required to be
6. Smoking is allowed only within areas cleared of flammable material to mineral soil for
C. Purchaser or Permittee shall comply with the following Resource Protection Measures:
1. Keep vehicles off meadows, wet dirt roads or any other area that may be damaged by
2. Repair any water bars or other erosion control structures that you drive over or
3. Remove slash, limbs and other debris created by purchaser or permittee’s cutting
4. Use of tractors, skidders, loaders, yarders or similar heavy equipment is prohibited
5. No more than three inch deep ruts allowed on roads during wet road conditions. Roads
D. Purchaser or permittee shall have permit when cutting and promptly display this
E. Other Stipulations
1. All slash created by fuelwood harvesting activities shall be lopped to a maximum height
2. Stump height shall not exceed six (6) inches.
3. Fuelwood salvaged from public land must be utilized to the greatest extent
4. The person issued this permit must be present when the cutting is done. Authorization
5. Fuelwood Load Permit tags (provided) shall be prominently displayed on the rear of the
One (1) cord equals a stack of wood 4’ x 4’ x 8’.