U.S. DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIORBUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT
News.bytes Extra, issue 234
Hearst Piedras Blancas Rocks Donated to U.S.
The Town Criers of San Luis Obispo County heralded the news...
The Hearst Corporation, represented by Steve Hearst, donated the scenic rocks off the point of Piedras Blancas to the U.S. Bureau of Land Management recently in a ceremony attended by key partners. About 40 guests, including BLM State Director Mike Pool, Mark Bergstrom of the American Land Conservancy (which helped arrange the donation), and representatives from Sen. Dianne Feinstein, Rep. Bill Thomas, Rep. Lois Capps, and others all joined BLM Field Manager Ron Huntsinger and BLM Light Station Keeper John Bogacki as they enjoyed spectacular coastal weather for the event.
The occasion was the donation of the rocks which give BLM's Piedras Blancas Light Station its name ("white rocks"). First spotted by Juan Cabrillo in 1542, the four rocks -- officially known as Outer Islet, Piedras Blancas #1 and #2, and La Cruz, were purchased by William Randolph Hearst as a scenic backdrop to the family ranch and the home he built now known as Hearst Castle.
BLM California State Director Mike Pool presents a commemorative photo to Steve Hearst
Outer Islet (more commonly known as Lion Rock) served as a backdrop to several speakers
- June, 2006
|USA.gov | No Fear Act | DOI | Disclaimer | About BLM | Notices | Get Adobe Reader®|