A publication of Bureau of Land Management in California
Issue 265 - 1/24/07
THIS WEEK IN NEWS.BYTES:
- Video: BLM celebrates 60 years - final installment
- Not for educators only: Wildlife trivia question of the week
- Recreation on public lands: Fort Ord, Cosumnes, reservations
- Headlines and highlights: Australian fire, mine cleanup, disputed road, powerline, jobs, more
- Meet your advisory committee members
Also see this issue of News.bytes online at:
BLM CELEBRATES 60 YEARS: Part 9 - "Agency with a mission"
This is the final installment of this video series. A big "thanks" to BLM Oregon's Joseph Ross for compiling much of the information used in this series. You can read an even more complete account in his article (PDF file, 880 kilobytes):
WILDLIFE TRIVIA QUESTION OF THE WEEK:
RECREATION ON PUBLIC LANDS
"Stalking the stalkers" (Salinas Californian, 1/20/07)
"Cosumnes River Preserve a stroll through a birders' paradise" (Redding Record Searchlight, 1/23/07)
RELATED: "Cosumnes River Preserve" (BLM California website)
"Last call for park’s reservation system" (Stockton Record, 1/23/07)
HEADLINES AND HIGHLIGHTS
"Two residents off to help fight massive blaze" (Bakersfield Californian, 1/19/07)
"Pond Mine mercury targeted for cleanup" (Auburn Journal, 1/21/07)
RELATED: "Pond Mine Engineering Environmental Cost Analysis" (BLM California website)
"Environmentalists seek to join case over Death Valley roads" (Associated Press in San Francisco, 1/18/07)
"BLM Bakersfield planning efforts kicked off with training session" (News.bytes Extra)
"State tries to reduce turbine-related bird deaths" (Riverside Press-Enterprise, 1/18/07)
"Desert search locates soldier" (San Bernardino County Sun, 1/22/07)
"Cal Poly in Kern County?" (Bakersfield Californian, 1/19/07)
"Congressman pushes for land transfer for Pechangas" (North County Times, 1/20/07)
"Park agency urges SDG&E to bury Sunrise Powerlink" (San Diego Union-Tribune, 1/20/07)
"Current job openings - BLM California" (USAJOBS website)
MEET YOUR ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEMBERS: Robert Brockman...
WILDLIFE TRIVIA answer
SOURCE: "Green Sunfish - Lepomis cyanellus" (BLM California wildlife database)
RELATED: "Lepomis cyanellus (green sunfish)" (University of Michigan, Animal Diversity Web)
- If your e-mail program does not allow you to click on the above links to visit that Web page, copy and paste the URL into your browser's "Location" or "Address" bar.
- Some publications remove news stories from the Web soon after publication. If you plan to keep a story, you should print a copy or save the Web page to your computer.
DISCLAIMER: By linking to Web sites, the BLM does not imply endorsement of those sites, or of products or advertisements on those sites.
News.bytes published by
Bureau of Land Management
California State Office
2800 Cottage Way, Suite W-1834
Sacramento, Ca 95825
We appreciate feedback. Send comments to the News.bytes team at:
To subscribe to News.bytes, send an e-mail to:
mailto:Join-Newsbytes@List.ca.blm.gov OR visit our News.bytes subscription page at: http://www.blm.gov/ca/caso/getnewsbytes.html.