A publication of Bureau of Land Management in California
Issue 223 - 3/21/06
WEEK IN NEWS.BYTES:
- Not for educators only:
- Wildlife trivia question of the week: Know Jack?
- Special Status plant of the week
- Headlines and highlights: Dunes re-opening stopped, off-roader shot, wild horse meeting, BLM California jobs, more
- Energy: Sunrise Powerlink
- Meet your advisory council members: Paul McFarland
- Profile: Rick Shellooe
- National and/or Department of the Interior items: Idaho governor nominated as new DOI Secretary
NOT FOR EDUCATORS ONLY:
WILDLIFE TRIVIA QUESTION OF THE WEEK: Know Jack?
SPECIAL STATUS PLANT OF THE WEEK: Kingston bedstraw...
HEADLINES AND HIGHLIGHTS
"Judge nixes hopes
to reopen 49,000 acres of dunes, for now" (Imperial Valley
"Environmental laws stacked against users" (Yuma Sun,
"Feds finish Mojave
Plan" (San Bernardino County Sun, 3/15/06)
shooting under investigation" (Palm Springs Desert Sun,
"Deputies slay man, ending standoff" (Riverside Press-Enterprise,
"Wild Horse and
Burro Advisory Board meeting scheduled for April in Sacramento"
(BLM national news release, 3/16/06)
"BLM Opening New Firewood
Cutting Areas" (BLM California news release, 3/17/06)
bill would cut review time for projects; Critics say process is too quick,
oppose the cutting itself" (San Francisco Chronicle, 3/15/06)
"New hearing on
annexation?" (Los Angeles Daily News, 3/17/06)
"LAFCO to Hold Second Stonecrest Hearing" (Santa Clarita
"Yuma desert full of
abandoned mine shafts" (Yuma Sun, 3/20/06)
openings - BLM California" (USAJOBS website)
ENERGY - Sunrise Powerlink
"Route chosen for
controversial power line" (San Diego Union-Tribune, 3/21/06)
"Opponents of power
line not expected to disappear" (San Diego Union-Tribune, 3/21/06)
"Power to the people"
(San Diego Union-Tribune, 3/21/06)
"Power line targets
Ramona, Anza-Borrego park; avoids Julian" (North County Times,
MEET YOUR ADVISORY COUNCIL MEMBERS: Paul McFarland...
EMPLOYEE PROFILE: Rick Shellooe...
NATIONAL AND/OR DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR ITEMS
Nominates Dirk Kempthorne as Interior Secretary" (White
House news release, 3/16/06)
"Idaho Gov. Chosen
for Interior" (Los Angeles Times, 3/17/06)
"For Interior, a collaborative
conservative" (Christian Science Monitor, 3/20/06)
"Pick for Interior
Said to Show More Charm Than Substance" (Los Angeles Times, 3/19/06)
"Gale Norton's legacy"
(Denver Post, 3/19/06)
"BLM announces Internet
availability of Lands and Minerals databases" (BLM national news
WILDLIFE TRIVIA answer
RELATED: "Lepus californicus (black-tailed jackrabbit)" (University of Michigan, Animal Diversity Web)
- If your e-mail program does not allow you to click on the above links to visit that Web page, copy and paste the URL into your browser's "Location" or "Address" bar.
- Some publications remove news stories from the Web soon after publication. If you plan to keep a story, you should print a copy or save the Web page to your computer.
DISCLAIMER: By linking to Web sites, the BLM does not imply endorsement of those sites, or of products or advertisements on those sites.
News.bytes published by
Bureau of Land Management
California State Office
2800 Cottage Way, Suite W-1834
Sacramento, Ca 95825
We appreciate feedback. Send comments to the News.bytes team at:
To subscribe to News.bytes, send an e-mail to:
mailto:Join-Newsbytes@List.ca.blm.gov OR visit our News.bytes subscription page at: http://www.blm.gov/ca/caso/getnewsbytes.html.