Packsaddle and Windy Point Recreation Sites are situated two miles apart along the crest of the Cerbat Mountains, high above the old mining town of Chloride, Arizona. Located at a 6,000 foot elevation, these recreation sites are located in a picturesque woodland consisting of pinyon pine and juniper. Visitors here are treated to spectacular views of the surrounding valley and distant mountain ranges.
Location and Access
From Kingman, Arizona, travel 18 miles north on Highway 93, to the Bureau of Land Management- maintained Big Wash Road turnoff. Note: This turnoff is located 1.5 miles north of the State Road 62-Chloride turnoff. Packsaddle Recreation Site is located nine miles up the unpaved Big Wash Road from its junction with Highway 93. Windy Point Recreation Site is located two miles past the Packsaddle Recreation Site, on the same road. Several miles in from the Highway 93 turnoff, the road begins a steep, switchback ascent from the valley floor to the ridgetop. Vehicles with travel trailers are not recommended on this road.
- Most picnicking and camping sites are equipped with a metal fire grill, rock masonry fire ring, trash can, picnic table, and a level parking site.
- Packsaddle Recreation Site has several scenic walk-in sites adjacent to large granite boulders.
- Scenic Overlooks
- Vault Toilets
- No water or firewood is provided, please bring your own.
- Hiking (Cherum Peak Trail is nearby)
- Off-highway vehicle driving
- Packsaddle: none
- Windy Point: $8 per site per night (14-day stay limit)
- Reservations for the use of sites are not required.
- All sites are filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
Further information may be obtained by contacting:
Kingman Field Office
2755 Mission Boulevard
Kingman, AZ 86401-5308
Phone: (928) 718-3700
Fax: (928) 718-3761
Field Manager: Ruben Sanchez
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., M-F