The Burro Creek Recreation Site is situated along Burro Creek within a very scenic Sonoran desert Canyon at an elevation of 1,960 feet. This peaceful area has long been a favorite stop of travelers on nearby Highway 93. Visitors here are invariably fascinated with the contrast between the deep blue pools and tree-lined banks of Burro Creek, and the saguaro-studded hills and cliffs of its desert setting.
Location and Access
The Burro Creek Recreation Site is located 60 miles northwest of Wickenburg on Highway 93. From Kingman, travel east 17 miles on Interstate 40, then south 53 miles on Highway 93. The recreation site turnoff is one mile south of Burro Creek Bridge. From the signed turnoff, continue 1.5 miles to the recreation site via the paved access road.
- Level sites available that can accommodate large recreational vehicles and suitable sites for tent campers.
- One Handicap-Accessible camp site is available with nearby accessible restroom.
- Most camping & picnicking sites are equipped with a metal fire grill, trash can, picnic table, large sun-shelter ramada, & a level parking site.
- Interpretive desert garden
- Information and Map exhibit
- Drinking Water
- Restrooms with flush toilets and sinks
- Trailer/RV dump station
- Group camping area for tents and/or recreational vehicles
- Open campfires usually permitted within fire grills
- Picnicking and Camping
- Trailhead for Back Country Trips - A large area of scenic wildlands are located upstream from the recreation site.
- Overnight backpackers and day hikers can park their vehicles here without charge.
- Photography - There are excellent spring wildflower displays in this area from March through May.
- Desert Garden - The recreation site has a small area set-aside containing a large variety of native cacti. Each variety is identified in a separate brochure (available on site).
- Provides opportunity for visitors to become familiar with native plant life.
|*Group camping ||$50.00/site/night|
|Group reservation/admin fee||$ 5.00/reservation|
|Dump station fee ||$10.00/use (BC campers exempted)|
|Desert Garden brochure ||$ 0.25/brochure|
* The Group Campsite Area at Burro Creek Recreation Site does not honor Golden Age Passports or Senior Passes, or Golden Access Passports or Access Passes because a flat "Group Use Rate" is established in this "specialized recreation facility."
Reservations are accepted starting the first Monday in August at 7:30 am (MST) for use of the group site. All individual sites are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
For further information concerning site availability, weather conditions, recreation site regulations, or available activities, contact:
Kingman Field Office
2755 Mission Boulevard
Kingman, AZ 86401-5308
Phone: (928) 718-3700
Fax: (928) 718-3761
Field Manager: Ruben Sanchez
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., M-F