AZ desert wildflowers
BLM
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT
AZ petroglyph AZ Ironwood Forest National Monument AZ Vermilion Cliffs National Monument AZ Wild Burros AZ Desert sunset
Arizona
BLM > Arizona > What We Do > Cultural & Historic Resources > Mt Trumbull Schoolhouse - Grand Canyon-Parashant Nat'l Monument
Print Page
Mt Trumbull Schoolhouse
Grand Canyon-Parashant Nat'l Monument
original schoolhouseDescription
For 44 years, the schoolhouse served the community of Mt. Trumbull. Homesteaders arrived in this remote valley about 1917 to farm and raise livestock. The schoolhouse, built in1918, served not only as a school, but also as a church, dance hall, and town meeting site. Population peaked at 200–250 in the 1930s, when a drier climate forced residents to switch their livelihood from crops to cattle and sheep. The Taylor Grazing Act of 1934 changed the face of ranching on the Arizona Strip as a complex system of permits and regulations precluded use of the range by many newly established homesteaders. People gradually drifted away until the last full-time resident departed in 1984.
 
As the population around the schoolhouse dwindled, it fell into disrepair. In 1966, its doors closed. In 1990, restoration efforts began and were completed four years later, restoring the schoolhouse to its near original condition. The schoolhouse once again opened its doors to the public. In July 2000, arsonists burned the historic Mount Trumbull schoolhouse. A restoration committee made the decision to build a schoolhouse replica. The restoration was completed in partnership with some of the descendents of the first settlers of Mt. Trumbull, the BLM, and contributions from the public. Mount Trumbull Schoolhouse was re-dedicated on October 13, 2001 and continues to be a symbol of the pioneer spirit of the Arizona Strip.
 
rebuilt schoolhouseThe schoolhouse doors are never locked, so walk inside to enjoy the photographs and artifacts that capture the life and times of the people whose lives revolved around this structure. Abandoned houses stand empty, along with some houses that are inhabited seasonally. No trespassing is allowed on private lands, but you can get some good photos from the main roads.
 
Location
The site is 60 miles southeast of St. George, Utah.
 
Access
From St. George, take River Road to the Arizona Stateline. Follow BLM Route 1069 up Quail Hill where the route turns into County Road 5. The schoolhouse will be easily seen on County Route 5 after about 2 hours of driving from St George.
 
Visitor Activities
Learn about the history of the area and settlers through interpretive panels and artifacts.
 
Special Features
 
Permits, Fees, Limitations
Donations are appreciated.
 
Accessibility
Open year-round. The school house has one step to enter it; however, the interpretive panels and restrooms are wheelchair accessible.
 
Camping and Lodging
Dispersed camping is available within the Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument and on surrounding public land. Lodging can be found in St George, Utah.
 
Food and Supplies
Available in St George, Utah.
 
First Aid
The nearest medical care is available in St George, Utah.

  Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument 
345 East Riverside Drive
St. George, UT 84790-6714
Phone: (435) 688-3200
Fax: (435) 688-3258
Monument Manager: Pam McAlpin
Hours:  7:45 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday
10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., Saturday