U.S. DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIORBUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT
|Mt Trumbull Sawmill|
Sawmills existed on Mt. Trumbull at various times and locations to harvest stands of Ponderosa Pine trees. They were known to have produced the lumber for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saint temple in St. George, Utah. The trail from the sawmills on Mt. Trumbull to the temple site in St. George became known as the Temple Trail. Huge timbers were cut, loaded on wagons and pulled by horses and mules over the narrow, twisted, rugged and rocky 66 mile journey.
The Petty Sawmill (photos dated 1900 to 1904) was one of the most famous sites and is pictured here. The crew and family of the Petty Sawmill shown are from left to right, back: Joe Farns, Lester Dalton, Lilly Petty, "Big Frank" Petty, Sarah Jane (Mrs. Frank) Petty, Charles B. Petty, Marion Stout, Ethel Petty, Willie Langston. Seated, front: Edgar Petty, Wm. Louis Crawford (who took the picture, Note position of hands as he manipulated thread which tripped camera shutter). Other stands of ponderosa pine on the Arizona Strip are located near Mt. Dellenbaugh with the Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument and on Black Rock Mountain. These small stands are currently being managed for the health and natural aesthetics of a ponderosa forest.
Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument