The BLM Anchorage Field Office released the Ring of Fire Draft Resource Management Plan (RMP) Amendment and Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) for the Haines Planning Area on December 14, 2012, for a 90-day public review and comment period.
The Draft RMP Amendment/DEIS evaluates whether to retain the Special Recreation Management Area designation in the Planning Area, and whether any part of the Planning Area meets the criteria for designation as an Area of Critical Environmental Concern (ACEC).
How to comment
The BLM will accept comments on the Draft RMP Amendment/DEIS from December 14, 2012, through March 14, 2013. There are three ways to submit comments during the public comment period:
- Mail written comments to BLM Anchorage Field Office, Attn: Haines Amendment, 4700 BLM Road, Anchorage, AK 99507.
- Submit electronic comments via email at BLM_AK_AFO_ROF_Amend@blm.gov.
- Provide written comments during open house meetings in Haines and Skagway.
- Skagway: Tuesday, March 5, 2013, 6-8pm, Skagway Assembly Chambers
- Haines: Wednesday, March 6, 2013, 6-8pm, Sheldon Museum & Cultural Center
NOTE: The January 2013 open house meetings in Skagway and Haines that were cancelled due to weather have been rescheduled to the above dates (weather permitting!).
Before including your address, phone number, e-mail address, or other personal identifying information in your comment, be advised that your entire comment -- including your personal identifying information -- may be made publicly available at any time. While you can ask us in your comment to withhold from public review your personal identifying information, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to do so.
View the Draft RMP Amendment and related documents
For more information about the Draft RMP Amendment/DEIS, contact the BLM at (907) 267-1246 or (800) 478-1263, or via e-mail at BLM_AK_AFO_ROF_Amend@blm.gov.