BLM Alaska Minerals Program
The BLM Alaska minerals program has responsibilities and adjudicative duties associated with federal mining claims, mineral surveys and patents, validation of title evidence, review of mineral validity reports, service of federal minerals contest actions, guidance for surface use management and use and occupancy under the mining laws; processing mineral lease applications, mineral materials, solid minerals prospecting permits, bonding documentation, and oil and gas reinstatement actions; coordinating oil and gas lease sales; and preparation and service of decisions, notices and other legal documents.
BLM Alaska has developed guidance to help the placer mining industry comply with laws, regulations and national policies regarding reclamation. The goal is to ensure effective reclamation of streams to sustain fish and wildlife populations and to ensure that placer mining operations are adequately bonded. The links below provide additional information.
Guidance on reclamation bonding for Plans and Notices on BLM managed lands in Alaska
Placer Mining Baseline Environmental Information Guidance and Reclamation Effectiveness Monitoring for Alaska Placer Mined Streams REISSUED
Guidance for Placer Mining on BLM Managed Lands and Using the State of Alaska’s Annual Placer Mining Application (APMA)
Mining Claim Information:
- Investigate That Claim Before You Buy!
- Claim Adjudication
- Locatable Minerals
- Locatable Minerals "Discovery" of a Valuable Mineral Deposit
- Mining Claim Fee Requirements
- Maintenance Fee Payment Form for Lode Claims, Mill Sites, and Tunnel Sites
- Maintenance Fee Payment Form for Placer Claims
- Maintenance Fee Waiver Form
- Affidavit of Annual Assessment Work Form
- Mining operations, Financial Guarantees, (bonding) under 43 CFR 3809
- Mining Claim Terms and Definitions
- Mining on Public Lands in Alaska
- Mineral Patents
- BLM Fact Sheet - Maintenance and Location Fee Requirements
- Occupancy Regulations
- Mining Claim Brochure
- Acquisition of Mining Claims Under a Maintenance Fee Waiver