Preserving the Past at Fort Egbert
After the Army departed in 1925, a portion of Fort Egbert was turned over to the Alaska Road Commission, which used several buildings to house its personnel and equipment. Other fort buildings were sold or salvaged by the road commission and Eagle residents. By 1940 only five buildings remained of the more than 45 buildings on the fort in 1911.
After statehood in 1959, the road commission facilities at the fort were turned over to the State of Alaska Department of Transportation, and the State of Alaska became owners of that portion of the fort's land and buildings.
In the late 1950's, Eagle residents, alarmed over the deteriorating condition of the fort buildings, organized the Eagle Historical Society and Museums
incorporated Dce. 26, 1961, to obtain assistance in maintaining or even restoring the buildings. The mule barn was especially in need of attention. The U.S. Navy Seabees Reserve were the first to assist with the project, flying in large equipment and men to work a long weekend.
|Roof repairs to the noncommissioned officers' quarters in 1975.|| |
Having averted immediate collapse of the mule barn, local residents continued to seek further assistance. U.S. Senator Ted Stevens answered their plea and in 1975 secured funds for the restoration work. Because the funds were placed in the BLM budget, the state traded the buildings and land for other federal land, making the BLM owner and caretaker of the five remaining buildings at Fort Egbert.
In 1991 the Eagle Historical Society and Museums, the City of Eagle, and the BLM signed a Cooperative Agreement to continue protecting significant cultural resources and historic properties within the Eagle Historic District National Historic Landmark. Over the years they have worked together to complete dozens of projects, large and small, to protect or restore historic resources at the fort. Read more about current projects on the What's New at the Fort page.